Oysters Rockefeller Appetizer or Dinner!
24 oysters live in the shell
4 tbsp butter
2 shallots finely minced
10 oz baby spinach
12 oz heavy cream
½ cup Romano or Parmesan cheese
½ tsp black pepper
1 tbsp lemon juice
¼ cup panko breadcrumbs
- Rinse and clean the oysters (or use oysters already shucked and place in clean oyster shells)
- Carefully open the oysters and using a paring knife cut under the oyster releasing it from the shell. Place the open oysters in their shells on a sheet pan and refrigerate them until needed.
- In a large sauté pan or wide bottom pot, melt the butter then add the shallots to the melted butter and sauté over medium heat for 3-4 minutes. Do not let them burn.
- Add the spinach to the butter mixture and sauté until the spinach is wilted. (You can also add white to the mixture.)
- Next, add the lemon juice, heavy cream, Romano cheese and black pepper to the spinach. Bring mixture to a boil and reduce the heat. Allow the mixture to continue cooking until the cream has been reduced by half.
- Place the finished mixture into the refrigerator, allowing the spinach mixture to completely cool and solidify.
- Place one tablespoon of the spinach mixture on top of each oyster and finish each oyster with panko breadcrumbs on top.
- Bake the oysters in a 375-degree F oven for 15-20 minutes or until the topping is golden brown.